Back from a long summer break DJ sits down with Manzar Elahi, Glen John Labasug & June Wong all leading ,multimedia teams at their respective news organisations in Pakistan, the Philippines and Malaysia. In the news DJ tracks back to the start of the summer to highlight the big announcements including his take on the Canon 5D mk4.
Yuyang Liu is a Chinese freelance photographer contributing to domestic and international publications such as the New York Times, he’s also a Getty Images Reportage Emerging Talent. Sharron speaks to Yuyang about what it’s like to freelance in China as well as the new wave of Chinese photographers, who now - thanks to the internet - have more channels to reach an international audience and market, and to tell stories from China from their perspective.
Eyes on China Instagram Feed: www.nytimes.com/2016/02/04/world/…kevin-frayer.html
33 Asia-based photographers you should follow on Instagram - theinitium.com/article/20160821-…gramphotographer/
Quality English language multimedia journalism site - www.sixthtone.com/
On this week’s show I speak with a freelance multimedia journalist who has an amazing talent for diversifying both in location and the content she produces - In the news the new Nebula 4100 is shipping and a zoom lens for the Inspire.
Alice's website http://www.alicecarfraemultimedia.com
MA International Multimedia Journalism scholarships - http://www.immj-ma.org/2016/06/22/immj-scholarship-applications-open-for-2016-17/
- Sharron came across Mathew’s research via this article http://theconversation.com/when-greenpeace-hires-journalists-its-a-double-edged-sword-47398
More of Matthew’s papers at: http://www.com.washington.edu/powers/
The Greenpeace report discussed in the show is here: http://energydesk.greenpeace.org/2015/12/08/exposed-academics-for-hire/
The HRW reporting in CAR is here: http://features.hrw.org/features/Unravelling_central_african_republic/index.php
- An older but very relevant series by Nieman Lab on NGO’s as newsmakers: http://www.niemanlab.org/2009/11/ngos-as-newsmakers-a-new-series-on-the-evolving-news-ecosystem/
- Ashley Gilbertson's work for UNICEF is excellent http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/21/opinion/sunday/exposures-uncertain-journeys.html
- Photojournalism, advocacy and change by David Campell is another good read https://www.david-campbell.org/2015/04/30/photojournalism-advocacy-change-marcus-bleasdale-human-rights-watch-central-african-republic/
- If you enjoyed this podcast, you might like to hear David Campbell’s interview with Emma Daly, communications Director at Human Rights Watch in New York http://www.multimediaweek.net/e/ep-24-interview-with-emma-daly-human-rights-watch
In this week's podcast Sharron turns the mic on DJ and questions him about the best gear for her new students to invest in. Later in the conversation they talk about the importance of understanding readable video in this fast changing news environment.
This week we welcome Christian Parkinson back to the podcast (see episode 53 for his first appearance) to speak about gimbals, VR video and all his latest work.
Once a Reuters video journalist now a superstar filmaker/journalist with a list of clients and publications to make anyone envious, Max Duncan speaks to multimedia week about his career, current projects and the gear he chooses.
In this episode, we speak with a Bolton University Multimedia Journalism MA (immj-ma.org) graduate student. Biel Calderon - www.bielcalderon.com / @BielCalderon - works as a multimedia editor at Greenpeace in Bangkok. We discuss what it’s like going from journalism into the non-profit sector, some of the new trends and tools being used in non-profit communications and the increasingly blurred line between advocacy and journalism.
- Marcus Bleasdale - Photography, Expanded: Rethinking Engagement and Impact - www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/ph…nd-impact
- Surviving El Niño - Greenpeace (26min documentary - beautiful drone & camera work) - www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9DRSgbeWUY
- Recent short videos (with drone, no subtitles, for Facebook Greenpeace Thailand) - www.facebook.com/greenpeaceseath/…153711486802098/ - www.facebook.com/greenpeaceseath/…153711483207098/
- VR Video Save the Arctic (with Ryot) - www.facebook.com/greenpeace.inter…153877470878300/
- A Sustainable Catch - Video produced by Biel Calderon for Greenpeace - realfoodfilms.org/video/a-sustainable-catch/
- Online multimedia research report (Biel contributed to design, curating photos and video editing) - www.greenpeace.org/seasia/th/Globa…png1/index.html
- A short video interviewing www.imm-ma (our Multimedia Journalism MA) graduates, discussing the multimedia journalism, storytelling, training and editorial careers they have entered since graduation. - vimeo.com/161025775
Berta Tilmantaitė has been wandering the globe for the past five years creating stories with video, photographs, text and audio. She has worked for National Geographic, Al Jazeera, GEO as well as many other international media organisations, twice having the cover story for Nat Geo.
- Watch Berta's amazing films at https://vimeo.com/upe
- also into on her new agency at http://nanook.lt/en/
- and all her info is on her website at http://www.godoberta.com